Monday, February 7, 2011

Larry Calkin's Silhouettes

I've decided to start this blog by thinking about how people use materials in interesting ways. I took a class with Larry Calkin at Pratt in Seattle recently. The most inspiring thing about the class was the inch thick pile of cheap printer paper on each of our desks. Larry said, "I want you to do something with every sheet of paper by the end of today." This both freaked us all out and also liberated us to just get to work. I never used all my sheets of paper but over the next few days I waxed, burned, crumpled, sewed and punched holes in my paper among other things.

The lesson here is: Use cheap materials and just make stuff, something might come out of it.

Another lesson from Larry: Make repeats, don't try to make something new all the time but make more than one of something, you'll learn something new each time you make another version.

Larry has tons of examples of his art online. I really like this silhouette piece. More can be found here: http://www.calkinsart.net/projects/

No comments:

Post a Comment